Friday 28 April 2017

Note: The island used to punish girls Uganda

Girls who were pregnant before marriage were growing up they have credibility to bring shame on the family in some parts of Uganda.

From that point of bringing shame the family, the girls were taken to the small island country and left to die.

In Bakiga society, a woman should get pregnant after a girl who is a virgin kuolewa.Kuoa meant to receive a dowry iliolipwa with cattle. A woman who was pregnant, she seemed shy and can take from me including family property.

Bi Mauda Kyitaragabirwe aged 80, is one of the women had been placed on the island of punishment.


"Parents learned that I was pregnant they put me in a boat and take me to the island of Akampene. At the time I was 12 years old, I lived on the island for four days without food or water for four days, "recounts Mrs. Kyitaragabirwe.

"I remember in the fifth day a fisherman came and said he would take me and send me home. I was so worried, and I asked if he was deceived and that he wanted to throw me in the water, but he said no don to make you my wife, "he ingested the bride to the presenter of BBC Swahili.


Due to the distance of the area that behavior continued even after the missionaries and colonists arrived in Uganda in the 19th century and many kuisitisha.Watu especially when the girls died in ignorance swimming ilikujiokoa.